For this shoot, I chose to edit two pictures as the two halves of the shoot were very different from each other and I would need to edit them in different ways.
For the first photo (the ballerina posing at the alter), the image was pretty much ok regarding the light balance, this was perfect when we were shooting.
I wanted to take a little harshness off of the photo so I did this by doing two things. Firstly, I added a sepia effect. It softened it, but not enough. So then I decided to add a double exposure effect.
As the image was very symmetrical and balanced, I needed to add two semi-transparent layers, one either side of the model. This did soften the image and I was happy.
To create the winged ballerina photo, I needed to take out the background first, the model was cut out and pasted on to another layer. This gave me room to work on the background.
I wanted a graduated background similar to the shape of the ballerina. I filled the layer with a colour and then added a style on the layer which was a ‘radial gradient layer’. I then adjusted the shape of the circle to the approximate shape of the model.
Next, I softened the edges of the model’s layer with the rubber (50% occupancy with a blended edge brush). The two layers were then merged back together.
I wanted the image to look older (I studied photos of my great grandparents) and it needed to look as if it was created in a dark room. I added a few blemishes as if the negative or photo was knocked around. You can see this on the background of the top half of the image. I liked this very much, it was subtle and very realistic.
A soft slightly sepia look was added and the colours toned down. Other adjustments were also made on the screenshot.